Monday 18 January 2010

My Mom

My Mom
Mandira De(Roy)

My Mom is beautiful.But she never looks like one.She has remained busy her
whole life since she married my ailing father, always nursing him and acting
as per his whims.She has never been allowed to sit and enjoy a cup of tea
.Instead she thought it right to spare that time for her aggresive,
dominating yet seriously ill husband and her daughter.She never told a lie
or skipped her duty only to teach her daughter how to perform one's
duty.She could easily go to a friend's house or enjoy a recitation by her
favourite artist anyday.That could have helped her to remain
cheerful.Instead she taught herself to be happy without any external
help.She never enjoyed a very blissful life with my father.That used to hurt
her all the time.But she never tried to escape her duties to her husband.Now
a days I think what a huge reservoir of love she had stored for my
father!Each and everyday with the morning tea in her hand she used to wait
for her husband to wake.After the important event had happened she
silently used to go to the washroom to wash all her husband's dirty
bedcovers and clothes and so on .EVERYDAY YES EVERYDAY.She never chose to
read any quotation from the upanisada to learn to help her loved ones.But it
was so spontaneous to her to be a lifelong and unpaid yet
uncomplaining friend for her husband.She presented her partner with a fresh
new day everyday.She acted like a shield and protected me and my
father.Everytime I tried to help her she refused to take any help.She went
to vellore alone with my father to give her better treatment.It was oneday
when I was alone with a patient in a hospital at midnight I realised how
much struggle she had undergone alone.But like a hero she never breathed
about the pain.After my father's death she never protested when her inlaws
blamed her for his death.She is no less a sage and knows her point.She need
not be successful but she is a beautiful angel to me from whom I have learnt
the meaning of life.I salute her spirit. each time I see people applying
tricks to escape their duties, their ideal figure,gorgeous hair and skin
make them look uglier.With her wrinkled face and grey hair ,she is to me
beauty redefined.

No comments:

Post a Comment