Tuesday 19 April 2016

Poems composed by Mai Van Phan

Mai Văn Phấn
Translated from Vietnamese by Nhat-Lang Le
Edited by Susan Blanshard






Many people
Wait for night to come
Why am I so unconcerned




Sits alone
Singing softly
A vaguely sad melody



New Day

I peel a calendar page
And write
All over the other side




Resurface
Knowing the seasonal wind
Arrived last evening



Night Rain

Not wanting trees to dry
This morning’s sunlight
Is also wet




Sparrows on a tree
And I
Have fallen asleep




A bird flaps its wings
Four or five neighbors
Open their doors to look




Trees full of fruit
While walking I count
My steps




In the rain
The road
Is in twilight




Perennial peanut flowers
Around the temple tower of Po Nagar
Cannot open their eyes yet



A Flower Vendor’s Burden

The flower vendor wipes her sweat
Peonies
Bundled together with tulips




Rainwater
Flowing through beehives
Spills over a brick wall.



Industrial Era

A dragonfly sitting on top of a crane
In ten minutes
Lifts up three different loads of product




The wind
Grazes through
Several times




Expecting their mother
Leaves around the nest
Call her to them




I see young birds
Newly born
So pitiful



Reading a Book

Suddenly confused
I stare
At a road in the night




Everyone is disappointed
So am I
Then speak



Near a Water Fountain

A pair of pigeons
Look at each other
For a very long time




Old men deep in discussions
A sweeping woman respectfully
Invites them to another bench



Meeting an Old Friend

Conversation
Silence
A brook is still flowing steadily




A clump of ivory bamboo twists and turns
An old man passing by
Arms swinging briskly




I stand on my veranda
Waiting for the moon
To slice me the biggest part




Slippery
They dare not look
At people passing by




A prevailing wind
Blows this way
And that way




Keep
Burying each other
Into the ground



Fuchsia Flowers

Hanging down
Cast its halo
Over me




Dropping a bunch of keys
Just that
Changed so many thoughts



A Happy Moment

Is when tearing
A calendar page
Becomes easier




A pigeon flies
Leading the way
For a large cloud



Stepping on a Patch of Sunlight

I hold tight
Until
The yellow no longer moves




A dragonfly departs
A bindweed flower
Keeps waving



Longan Flowers

Cling to a bee’s feet
Which drops pollen
To the ground




A fish
Wiggles its tail
Up the water




My neighbor is away
A window high up
Left open




A photo blurs with moisture
I see my relatives
From another world

No comments:

Post a Comment