Sunday 6 January 2019


Mahabharata – 171
by
Sankar Mukherjee
and

Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya
 
Aadivamsavatarana Parva

Story of the birth of Vedavyasa
Satyavati the queen mother of the Kurus had two sons in Chitrangada and Vichitrivirya.One of them died heroically in the battle field. The other died of mortal disease. So to continue the family line of the Kurus she implored her step son Bhisma to get married. But  Bhisma
would not marry. He advised the bereaved Satyavati to get her daughter in laws childing with the help of some Brahamin. In exchange of that the Brahamin should be given some wealth. This shows that during the Mahabharata era a married woman could beget children by a Brahamin, who was not her husband, in exchange of some wealth if circumstances had so dictated. Call it male prostitution? In fact prostitution was an honorable practice in those days. If we hark back to Buddha era we will find prostitutes who were highly venerated.
Bhisma alluded to history and narrated how the race of Kshatryas were rejuvenated by the seeds of the Brahamins in the past.
Satyavati then, smiled softly and spoke in shy and broken voice and addressed Bhishma ---What you say is true. During the time of distress such practice may be permitted. I have great confidence in you. I shall now suggest  another means of up holding our lineage. It
happened to me in the past. You are the Virtue, and Truth incarnate. In our race, you are, our only stay. Therefore hearing what I say, do what may be proper.
My virtuous father for virtue's sake kept a boat. In the prime of my youth, I used to ply that boat. One day the great and wise sage Parasara came, to my boat for crossing the Yamuna. As I was rowing him across the river, the foremost of the sages became excited with desire
and began to allure me in soft words and promised me a boon. The sage also added that I am not the daughter of the fishermen. The fisherman king was my foster father only. He updated me regarding my parentage.
The fear of my fisherman father and  the terror of the sage’s curse overwhelmed me. And having obtained from him a precious boon, I could not refuse his urge. The rishi by his spirit enveloped the region with a dark fog and brought me under his complete control. Before this there was a  fishy odour in my body, but the sage  replaced  it  with sweet fragrance. He also added that, I would  remain a virgin even bringing forth his child in the island. The child of Parasara  was instantly born during my maidenhood. He  is  known as Dwaipayana of
great ascetic power. That great sage through his ascetic power divided the Vedas into four parts. And he became famous on earth by the name of Vyasa and for his dark complexion, he is also known as Krishna Dwaipayana. The truthful mighty ascetic, whose passions are under control, went away with his father immediately after his birth. If we, me and you, ask that great spirited sage to cohabit with the widowed children of ours, we will certainly beget virtuous children on the wives of his brother. He told me before leaving, ‘Mother!, Think of me when you are in difficulty. I shall show up’. Oh Bhishma! If you so desire. I may now summon him. Oh  Bhishma! I am sure that the great ascetic will beget children upon Vichitravirya's wife.
Hearing  the name of that great rishi, Bhishma with joined palms said---That man is truly intelligent who judiciously considers virtue, profit, and pleasure, before any act. And he is one who can review, all such acts in such a way that virtue may lead to future virtue, profit to future profit and pleasure to future pleasure. He is known as wise. Therefore, that which has been said by you and which is beneficial to us is valid for our purpose. This is certainly the best and the most virtuous advice for us. And it has my full approval.
This episode is very significant. It shows that cohabiting with a sage does not rob the virginity of a maiden. Furthermore one might argue that a widow could cohabit with her brother in laws and remain in the family. Of course, the continuation of her deceased husband is her duty. The chief value is the child. Besides when the Kuru race is on the verge of being obliterated from
the face of the earth the narrator himself is to be invoked for the continuation of the race of the Kurus. This is unique in the realm of narratives.

No comments:

Post a Comment