Wednesday 27 March 2019


Mahabharata – 192
by
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya
    Aadivamsavatarana Parva

Back ground of Birth story of Pandavas
 Pandu was cursed by an ascetic and he became impotent.So he was incapble of bring forth children through his dear wives Madri and Kunti.It seems that Pandu used to confide his personal thoughts in Kunti.And Pandu addressed Kunti and told her --- We the Kurus, for the continuation of the Kuru race, have been begotten by  Vedavyasa. You know that. It has also been said by the scholars who are well versed in the rules of morality that a child could be begotten by a woman with the aid of a deputy provided she has the consent of her husband. A devoted wife must ever seek her husband during her monthly season. But at other times she deserves liberty.  Be that as it may since I am not competent you mate with some ideal person to bring forth children for me. Because I want to reap the fruitions that one who has a son,in the life here-after. This shows that with the protagonists of the Mahabharata the life here after was no less important than the life here. Pandu exhorts his devoted wife to get children by others. He adds that  the Vedas have declared that it is the duty of the wives to do what their husbands ask them to do.This is significant in our context. One wonders whether a wife should undergo prostitution at the instance of her husband. Pandu told Kunti --- Oh my fair lady! I am deprived of the power of procreation by the curse of the Deer. Yet till now I am desirous of having offsprings.Oh you  amiable one! Joining my palms with rosy fingers, and making them a cup  of lotus leaves,I place my hand on your head to regain your favour. Raise offsprings, at my wish through some Brahmana of high ascetic merit and have offsprings. So that I may go to that place which is reserved for those whot are blessed with children. Thus addressed by Pandu, Kunti reply is significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment