Wednesday 27 March 2019


 Mahabharata – 196
by
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya
    Aadivamsavatarana Parva

Birth of Nakula and Sahadeva

Pandu,  allured by the desire of having more children wished to request again to Kunti. But Kunti replied ---The wise do not sanction a fourth delivery even in a season of distress in this way.The woman having intercourse with four different men is called a Swairini. While she having  intercourse with five becomes a Bandhaki. Therefore, Oh learned one,as you are well-acquainted with the scripture on this subject, why do you, misled by desire of offspring, ask me so in seeming forgetfulness of the ordinance?
 After the birth of Kunti’s sons and Gandhari’s son,Madri one day privately addressed to  Pandu, ---  You have lost the power to procreate.I have no complaint for that. Though by birth I am a princess but I am staying in such an ordinary situation. I do not complain for that. I do not grieve, that Gandhari has obtained a hundred sons. But  my great grief is that while Kunti and I are equal,I am childless, while fortunate Kunti is with your children. Now if Kunti be gracious that I should have offspring, she would then be really doing me a great favour and benefiting you likewise. Kunti  being my co-wife, I feel that it is embarrassing in soliciting any favour from her. But if you are happy with me then please do a favour to me by asking her to grant my desire to become a mother. Hearing her, Pandu replied --- Oh Madri! I am also considering this matter in my own mind. I am hesitating to tell you  anything, not knowing how you would respond to it. Now that I know what your wishes are.I shall certainly request her. I think that, asked by me, Kunti will not refuse me. After this, Pandu addressed Kunti in private --- Oh Kunti! give me some more offspring for the expansion of my race and for doing good to the people.Oh blessed one! provide me and my ancestors, that we may always have the funeral cake offered to us. Do one more beneficial act for my satisfaction. Do what indeed, may be difficult for you, moved by the desire of achieving unfading fame. Do good to every one of us once more.See that Indra, even though he had obtained the kingdom of the celestials,yet for the sake of fame alone, he performed sacrifices. Oh handsome one!, Brahmanas, acquainted with the mystical formula,and having achieved high ascetic merit, yet they,for fame alone,approach their spiritual masters with reverence.So also all great ascetic royal sages and Brahmanas,for fame only,aspire for the most difficult ascetic feat to achieve. Rescue Madri like a raft, and achieve imperishable fame by making her a mother of children.Kunti replied --- Oh King! Whatever you said is as per the laws of virtue.I shall do a favour to Madri.In accordance with Pandu’s request, Kunti said to Madri--- Think, of some celestial for once only, and you shall certainly obtain from him a child like him. Madri thought of the twin Aswins, who showed up in a flash to her and begat upon her twin sons and they were known in the world as Nakula and Sahadeva.Their beauty was unparalleled on earth. And as soon as they were born, an airy voice said --- In energy and beauty these two children shall exceed the twin Aswins themselves. Indeed they possesses great energy and beauty. They will illuminate the whole region.
After all the children were born, the rishis dwelling in the Sata-Sringa mountain  blessed them and affectionately performed the first rites of birth.And they honoured the children by performing the naming ceremony.The eldest of Kunti's children was called Yudhishthira,the second Bhimasena,and the third Arjuna, and of Madri's sons, the first-born of the twins was called Nakula and the next Sahadeva.And all those sons were born one after another at an interval of one year Nakula and Sahadeva were however twins born after one year from the date of birth of Arjuna.But all of them were physically stout as if each one of them was    five years old.And king Pandu, seeing his children of celestial beauty and of super- human energy of great strength and prowess, was exceedingly happy. After some time Pandu again requested Kunti in private on behalf of Madri for begetting a child again. Kunti replied --- Having given her the mystic formula of calling on any deity only once, she had, managed to obtain two sons by calling twin gods. Thus I was deceived by her. I fear, that she will soon surpass me in the number of her children. This, indeed, is the way of all wicked women. I am a fool. I did not know that by calling the twin gods one may obtain at one birth two sons. I beseech you, O king, do not command me any more. Let this be the boon granted by you to me. Each bears every auspicious mark on his person. Each one is handsome like the Moon, proud as the lion, well-skilled in the use of the bow.
Thus,Pandu had five sons who were begotten by celestials and were with great strength,and who all lived to achieve great fame.  Needless to say, that they were auspicious in their appearance, they were as pleasing as the Moon. They were as proud as the lion. They ambled like lions. They were great archers even in their boyhood.
Their chest was like that of a lion. The persevered like lions. Their eyes were like those of a lion.Their  necks resembled those of the lion. They were like lion in prowess. They gradually became the best of men.  They were as bright and brave as gods.They were growing like that in the hill named Sata –Sringa to the great surprise awe of the great sages.  The five Pandavas and the hundred sons of Dhritarashtra--that generator of the Kuru race--grew up rapidly like a cluster of lotuses in a lake.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment