Wednesday 10 April 2019

Mahabharata –201
by
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya

Aadivams avatarana Parva

 Pandu’s death
Seeing his five handsome sons growing up before him in the forest on the beautiful mountain slope, Pandu felt the utmost  might of his arms once more to revive. One day in the season of spring in between the month of Vaisakha and Chaitra there was abundance and abandon in Nature. All the flowering plants were decked with new blossoms and the trees bent down with the weight of their flowers and fruits and every creature became full of lust.The king accompanied by his wife Madri, began to move in the woods.
There were Palasas and Tilakas and Mangoes and Champakas and Parihadrakas and Karnikaras, Asokas and Kesaras and Atimuktas and Kuruvakas with flock of maddened bees sweetly humming about all around. And there were flowers of blossoming Parijatas with the cuckoos pouring forth their music from every twig echoing with the sweet hums of the black bees. And there were also many fine pools of water overgrown with hundreds of fragrant lotuses. Seeing all these, Pandu felt the desire to make love.Moving like a celestial with a romantic heart amidst such scenic beauty, Pandu was alone with his wife Madri in semi-transparent clothes.And seeing the youthful Madri thus dressed,the king's desire flamed up like  fire.And he was not able to suppress his desire thus kindled at the sight of his beautiful wifeMadri.Her eyes were like lotus-petals.He was completely overwhelmed.The king then seized her against her will.But Madri trembling in fear resisted him to the best of her might.Swayed  by  desire,he forgot everything about his misfortune.And, uninhibited by the fear of the curse and impelled by fate,the king,overpowered by passion, forcibly sought and embraced Madri,as if he wished to put an end to his own life.His reason,thus blinded by the strong lovemaking desire became the destroyer of   himself.And the king Pandu,of virtuous soul, thus succumbed to the inevitable influence of Time,while united in intercourse with his wife.Then Madri, holding  the body of her senseless lord,began to cry loudly.Hearing the cries of grief Kunti with her sons and the twins of Madri, came to the spot where the king lay in that state. Then,Madri addressing Kunti in a piteous voice,said, --- Oh Kunti!Come here alone, and let the children stay there.Hearing these words of Madri,Kunti, instructed the children to stay there.And ran with speed, shouting,‘Woe to me!’And seeing both Pandu and Madri lying down on the ground she moved in grief and sorrow,said --- Oh Madri!Of passions under complete control,the king,had all along been watched by me with care.How did he then forgetting the rishi's curse,approach you with burning desire? Oh Madri! this foremost of men should have been protected by you always.Why did you tempt him in loneliness?Always gloomy at the thought of the rishi's curse,how come he  became merry with you in loneliness? Oh Madri!You are more fortunate than myself,you are really to be envied,for you have seen the face of our lord thtoughout with gladness and joy. Lastly Madri replied ---  Oh Devi! With tears in my eyes,I resisted the king number of times, but the king could not control his passions, determined,to make the rishi's curse true.Kunti then said --- I am the older of his wedded wives,the chief religious merit must be mine.Therefore,Oh Madri!Do not  prevent me from achieving that which I must be achieved.I must follow our lord to the region of the dead.Oh Madri ! Rise up,and quit his body for me.Bringing up these children. Madri replied --- I  held tightly our lord, and I have not allowed him to depart. Therefore,I shall follow him.My appetite for sex has  not been fulfilled.You are my older sister,Oh! let me have your sanction.The king had approached me, desiring to have sex.His appetite remained unsatisfied.Shall I not follow him in the region of Yama to satisfy him? Oh respectable one!If I survive you,it is certain that I shall not be able to bring up your children as if they are mine.Will not sin touch me on that account? But, you,Oh Kunti !, shall be able to bring up my sons as if they are yours.The king,while making love with me, has gone to the region of spirits.Therefore, my body should be burnt with his.Oh respectable sister!,Do not refuse to give your sanction to this which is agreeable to me.You will certainly bring up the children carefully.That indeed, would be very agreeable to me.And I have no other desire. Having said this, the honourable Madri,the wedded wife of Pandu,ascended the heaven with her lord with utmost devotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment