Friday 17 May 2019


Mahabharata – 214
by
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya

 Aadivamsaavatarana Parva
 Dronacharya IV
Then Bhishma, that foremost of all wielders of arms, adroitly asked him the cause of his arrival at Hastinapura. Asked by him, Drona started narrating to Bhisma everything that had happened to him. Oh you truthful one! In the past I went to the great rishi Agnivesa for learning the science of arms. Devoted to the service of my preceptor, I lived with him for many years as a Brahmachari, with matted locks on my head. At that time, with the same motive, the
prince of Panchala, the mighty Drupada, also lived in the same ashrama. He became my friend, always looking after my welfare. I liked him much. Indeed, we lived together for many, many years for learning the science of arms. Devavrata! From our earliest years of friendship
we studied together and, indeed, he was my friend from boyhood, always speaking and doing what was agreeable to me. For satisfying me, he used to tell me --- Oh Drona!, I am the dearest child of my father. When the king installs me as king of the Panchalas, the kingdom, wealth  and happiness all would be under your control. Oh friend!, this is indeed, my sincere promise. Having finished his studies, he went back to his country. I offered him my regards at the
time, and, indeed, I remembered his words ever afterwards. Sometime after, in obedience to the instructions of my father and tempted by the desire of offspring, I married a lady of short hair. She is gifted with great intelligence, she observes many rigid vows, and has been
ever engaged in the Agnihotra and other sacrifices and rigid austerities. In the race of  Gautam, in time, she gave birth to a son named Aswatthama of great prowess and equal in splendor to that of the Sun himself. Indeed, I was pleased on having obtained Aswatthama as much as my father was happy begetting me. And it so happened that one day the child Aswatthama observing some rich men's sons drink milk, began to cry. At this I was so puzzled that I lost my common sense. A virtuous  brahmana living in a family cannot put up with  loss of virtue. Remembering  the rules of virtue I roamed each and every corner of the country. Thus I was desirous of obtaining a cow in a virtuous way  I wandered throughout the country. But my wanderings proved unsuccessful, for I failed to obtain a milking cow. I came back unsuccessful. Some of my son's playmates gave him water mixed with powdered rice. Drinking this, the poor boy, was deceived into the belief that he had taken milk, and began to dance in joy, saying, Oh!
I have taken milk. I have taken milk! Seeing him dance with joy his playmates smiling at his simplicity, surrounded him. They used to tease him.  I was exceedingly touched ----The boys cried ------ Alas!  The penniless Drona, cannot make much effort  to earn wealth .And his son
drinking water mixed with powdered rice mistakes it for milk and
dances with joy,
I was quite upset at this. I was reproaching myself. I opted for studies meant for the warriors or the  kshtriyas. So the brahmins avoided me. The reproached me as well and I felt that they were right. But I decided that I will not serve anybody with a view to earning wealth.
And  I resolved that I would  go to Drupada my boy hood chum for help.I set out for Drupada with my son and wife.Those who imagine that ancient India was over flowing with milk and
honey had better notice this episode of Drona’s life. Firstly even a brahmin highly learned in the military arts could hardly earn his bread for himself and for his family. Now a day some Indians are crazy to protect cows. But even during the Mahabharata days there was shortage of cows in India. And a little child of a learned Brahmin could not get a cupful  of milk. And the child had to take fake milk. Curiously enough our children also do not get pure cow milk. Dronacharya set out for meeting Drupada his boyhood friend to escape from this want of milk. Where should Indians go in quest of milk today? If the learned Drona could not leap away the wolf from
the door why blame India where millions of educated people go unemployed and starve. And one can not but argue that the common people who were uneducated and unskilled in ancient India had to starve as they do even today. The anguish of a father’s heart at the sight of his child deprived of milk has been brought home to the readers with great power and force. It reminds one of the realism of Chekhov. Besides one must not think that every brahmin was privileged in ancient India. Drona was a brahmin in the right sense of the term. But since he pursued the of the kshatriyas he was ostracized. It is a pity.



No comments:

Post a Comment