Wednesday 19 August 2009

Kleptomania

Kleptomania
Mayukh Ghosh

There emerged a peculiar problem in our section. Someone was stealing
our school accessories and other things. Everyone became mere
spectators of such works of theft. Our class teacher could only warn
us about the incident but was unable to solve the problem.
We were four best friends – Deep, Joy, Abhi and me, Suvo. We all loved
to read detective stories and hence decided to solve this case. But
unlike our game plans, our investigation plans failed. We blamed Abhi
for such failures but forgot everything as time progressed and
examinations came nearer.
It was my birthday and I was craving for a big treasure as gift from
God. My school bag had little space for books as it got flooded with
gifts. Joy gifted me a brand new watch which I wore all day long. I
decided to leave it in my bag before the P.T. class, to keep it
intact.
“You carry on Suvo, We’ll join you”, Abhi and Deep said and left.
Halfway down the stairs, I realized that I have forgotten my specs and
hurriedly ran up. In front of the class, I saw both of them looking
inside.
“Abhi! Deep! What are you doing there?” I asked. They turned towards
me with astonishment and I saw tears rolling down their cheek.
“What happened?” I asked and to my utmost surprise I saw Joy opening
my bag and trying to steal things from there.
“Why are you standing here? He’s the thief, let’s catch him” I said as
I started marching towards Joy. But Abhi pulled my hands and stopped
me.
“He’s a Kleptomaniac.”Abhi said wiping his spectacles. “What does that mean?” I questioned without any clue. “He is a mental patient. It is a mental disease compelling him to steal. The patient is in his sub-conscious mind while stealing, so
he’s not aware of it.” Deep explained as I slowly sat down on the
floor.
“I never wanted anyone to get hold of him and that’s why all our plans
failed. I came to knew about the culprit even before we started off.
Deep found out that it was a disease and not intentional. His parents
are not aware of the fact.” Abhi said with his voice getting dim every
second.
“My uncle had the same disease so I knew the symptoms of it.” Deep
informed.
“What are his chances of curing?” I asked curiously.
“We took him to my friend’s father who’s a psychologist. He prescribed
him a medicine known as selective serotonin besides mental rest. We
used to buy the medicine every month from our puja savings, pocket
money and the money I earned from band.” Deep explained.
“We kept informing him about his disease and spent as much time with
him as possible.” Abhi informed. “I will also help you Abhi, Deep. I can’t believe that I have such
great friends. Today I’m proud of them.” Tears filled my eyes as I
said this.
“Hey! let’s go, we’re getting late.” Joy standing in front of us with
an astonished face not realizing his past moment.
And we had to stand on the ground for the whole period for joining
late. But from that day, I had the respect for my friends in the
deepest depths of my heart and could recognize the treasures that God
gifted me on my birthday.
Abhi is absolutely perfect nowadays and is a regular ranker of our
class. But in the midst of all things, I lost my real treasures in a
car accident yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment