Thursday 19 July 2018


Mahabharata – 111
by 
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya
                                   Aadivamsavatarana Parva
             Sukracharya & Vrishaparva
Hearing complaints from his daughter Sukracharya the preceptor of the demons rushed to Vrishaparva where he  was seated on the throne, & addressed him & spoke to him without considering the consequences of his words-- 'O king,' he said, As cows  never immediately give birth to a calf, similarly 'sinful acts  do not, bear fruit immediately! But gradually & slowly do they destroy their doers. The offender may not find any immediate effect of his sinful act on himself. But like rich food as they can never be digested his doings can never be absolved.  The fruit of sinful act affects either their sons, or grandsons. Sins must bear their fruit. And because you slew the Brahmana Kacha, the grandson of Angiras, while he was residing in my abode you are damned, Kacha was virtuous, with good conduct. He was   always devoted to his guru. He was attentive to his duties. Besides, your daughter Sarmishta mal-treated  my virtuous daughter with cruel words. She flung my daughter into a tank too. And for this reason Devyani will not live in your kingdom & how can I live without her? Therefore I am leaving you now. Oh Vrishaparva! My relatives also will migrate from your kingdom along with me for killing Kacha who should not have been killed & for insulting my daughter Devyani  O king, I cannot stay in your kingdom any more! And you should not feel sorry for me or be angry. Oh king I cannot live in your country without Devyani. Devyani has made up her mind to leave your kingdom & I must follow her wherever she goes.
Then Brishaparva replied-- Oh Brahamana! If I indeed had attempted to kill Kacha or insisted Sarmishta to abuse Devyani  then I must go to hell.
Oh you the demon! Do you  think that I am telling a lie? Cried Sukracharya, ‘You make light of your offence without seeking to correct it!'.
Vrishaparva then said, 'Oh son of Bhrigu! Never have I said that you are  wanting in virtue, or that you tell a lie. Indeed,virtue and truth ever dwell in you. Be kind to me! Oh son of Bhrigu!, if you  leave  us, & if you really forsake my kingdom, we shall have to leap  into the the ocean & get drowned. Indeed, there is nothing else for us to do .'
Sukracharya then replied, Oh  Asuras! whether you get drowned into  the ocean or elsewhere, I care little. I am unable to bear my daughter's grief. My daughter is ever dear to me. My life depends on her.See that she is happy.Make amends &  try  to please her. As Vrihaspati ever seeks the good of Indra,so do I always seek your well being.
The episode shows how deeply Sukracharya loved his daughter Devyani. Even a wise man at per with Brahma like Sukracharya is blinded with his affection for his daughter that makes him human & an unforgettable character..
We wish that our society had been as fond of their daughters as Sukracharya was!The daughters must be obeyed.
Vrishaparva then said, 'Oh son of Bhrigu, you are the true owner  of whatever is possessed by the Asura  in this world-their elephants, cows and horses are yours. You own me,their king.In other words you own  even my humble self!'
Sukracharya then answered, 'If it is true, Oh king of Asuras!, If  I am the lord of all the wealth of the Asuras, then go and please Devayani.'
 In reply Vrishaparva said, Let it be so. Sukracharya then went to Devayani and told her everything. Devayani, however, quickly replied, 'Oh Father!, If you are truly the lord of the Asura king himself and of all his wealth, then let the king himself come to me and say so in my presence.'

No comments:

Post a Comment