Thursday 19 July 2018








Mahabharata – 112
by 
Sankar Mukherjee
&
Dr Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya
                                   Aadivamsavatarana Parva
               Devyani & Sarmishta
Devyani insisted that the demon king Vrishaparva must come to her & physically apologise to her. On hearing this from Sukracharya, Vrishaparva approached Devayani and told her, 'Oh Devayani!  Forgive us.He fell on the ground to touch the feet of Devyani. Vrishaparva said, Oh Devyani!Whatever you desire I am willing to give you, however difficult it may be '.  Devayani answered, 'I desire that Sarmishtha with a thousand  ladies should be my maid servant. She must also follow me  where my father  gives me away.'
Vrishaparva then summoned a maid-servant, saying, 'Go and quickly bring Sarmishtha here. She must be at the beck & call of Devyani.She must serve the wishes of Devyani.
May be Sarmishta must obey her father in the interest of the demons.If Sukracharya were not there the demons would not be safe in their quarrel with the gods.Thus the great narrative the Mahabharata puts the princess Sarmishta in a tragic situation.
 The maid-servant then approached Sarmishtha and told her, 'Oh Sarmishtha!,Rise and follow me. Accomplish the good of your relatives. Urged by Devayani, the Sukracharya is on the point of leaving his disciples.You must do what Devayani wishes.' Sarmishtha replied, 'I shall cheerfully do what Devayani wishes. And if Sukracharya asks me to do anything  for Devyani I shall do that without any hesitation. But both Sukracharya and Devayani must not leave us due to  my fault.'
 Commanded by her father, then, Sarmishtha, accompanied by a thousand maidens, soon came, out of the king’s mansion. And approaching Devayani she said, 'With my thousand maids, I am at your service! And I shall follow you where your father may give you away.' Devayani replied, 'I am the daughter of one who chants the praises of others, & who lives on the charity of others  & who receives alms.You, on the other hand, are the daughter of one who is adored.Is it not ?. How can you be my maid?
Sarmishtha answered, 'One must by all means contribute to the happiness of one's affected relatives. Therefore logically I shall follow you wherever your father may give you away.'
 When Sarmishtha thus promised to be Devayani's maid, then Devyani said to Sukracharya 'Oh Father!, I am happy. I shall now enter the town ruled by Vrishaparva. I know that your science of reviving the dead is most effective.
Thus addressed by his daughter, Sukracharya of great reputation entered the town. And the Danavas worshipped him with great reverence.


No comments:

Post a Comment